anjarakandy cinnamon estate....

         

                It was not for nothing that people from foreign lands named Kerala, ‘God’s own Country.’ They realized the importance of cardamom, ginger, sandal wood, pepper, cloves, cinnamon, etc centuries before and the fragrance of these treasures became the fragrance of their lives. One need not search much to know why Kerala became the most preferred region in India

            The colored stories about the conquest of Hyder Ali perplexed that generation and the British took it as an apt time to occupy. The company became the protector of local rulers and land lords and in return the whole land became theirs. The Company officials FC Brown converted the Coast of Anjarakkandy River as the banks of Thames. Sandal wood, Coffe, Cardamom etc. were cultivated in that fertile area of 250 acres. High quality seedlings of Cinnamon were also brought from Cylon. Here starts the history of ‘Randathara’ Cinnamon Estate in Anjarakandi which is a near by village of Thalassery. Brown family then known as “Anjarakandi sayip” And new building complex, an elegant bungalow with 81 rooms, and large halls, church etc were built for them. Sail ships anchored in the river and fire spitting canons were installed. In fact this huge bungalow was a silent witness to all the secrets and conspiracies of British East India Company. Edward Brennen and Hermen Gundert etc used to stay in the bungalow most frequently. It was the first registered spice garden, and the largest cinnamon garden in India. British east India Company established a registrar office here in Anjarakandy in 1st February 1865 only to register this garden (The first registrar Office in South India). In “Malabar Manual” William Logan says that the British realized the geographical and commercial importance of Anjarakandy and the company used to send reports to England about this.
            In early days,  the land was owned by Nambiar chieftains under Kolathiri. Later the Estate suffered ages during the war between The British and Pazhassi forces. Viceroy Lord Wellesly is reported to have visited the Estate. Brown family owned the place till 1946 and then they handed it over to Creing Johns and returned to England.Mr Johns left after some selling it to Mr Jacob of Kottayam and later the ownership was again changed to Joseph Mycle  and brothers.Proposed Moorkhan Parambu air field is very near to this Estate.
            Today cinnamon cultivation is not a lucrative business. Minimum 150 kg of leaves is needed to get 1 liter oil which cost just Rs 500. 1 kg dried peeling yields just Rs 100.Once 1500 liter of oil was produced here per annum. Cinnamon oil which contains 91% ‘Ujinol’ is an inevitable ingredient in perfumes, toilet soaps, medicines etc.
            It is a great loss not only to the students of history but also to the whole region that the records of the past were lost from the bungalow.